mainauthorstorieslinksblog

7/3/11

Bloodsworn Places 1st in 2011 PRISM Contest

Other than having a fan tell you they like your book, there's nothing like a little public recognition to give a boost-to-your-muse. When I entered the 2011 PRISM Contest held by the Fantasy, Futuristic, and Paranormal chapter of RWA, I had no real expectations. This was my first published book. I liked it, my friends and family liked it, but would a group of perfect strangers? Then I got the call telling me I finaled! Wow, talk about exciting. To final alongside other published authors was a big deal to me--some of them multi-published. Maybe I was on the right track with this writing career after all.

Then July 1st, Friday morning came and with it an email that I never expected. Bloodsworn: Bound by Magic won FIRST PLACE in the Fantasy category. AND BEST FIRST BOOK!!! Needless to say, I was flying all day. Called my niece first, of course. She's responsible for getting me into this business in the first place, so she can darn well share the credit. Then called my sons, my brothers, and, oh, yeah, my editor. Can't forget Frances Sevilla. Wonderful woman and a great writer herself. We may not always see eye to eye on every little detail, but she definitely knows her stuff.

My only regret is not being able to make it to New York to attend The Gathering where they announced the winners. Would have been awesome to accept the recognition in person. But hey, maybe next year. Bloodsworn 2 is due out this month and there's no telling where it might take me. Here's to looking forward to new adventures!

1 comment:

GladysMP said...

Man, I can well imagine your excitement! I bet you were dancing all around the place. A double victory and so early in your writing career. My heartiest CONGRATULATIONS!!!!